The Houston Fund for Social Justice and Economic Equity (known as the Houston Equity Fund) opens the first round of applications for the Open for Business Grant Program on August 9.
A $20 million donation from Wells Fargo earlier this year will fund the program, providing grants to diversely owned small businesses and nonprofits operating in the Houston area.
Information sessions will be held Thursday, August 4 from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. (location TBA) and Friday, August 5 from 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. virtually.
The Houston Equity Fund’s mission is to enact transformational change by investing resources into organizations and initiatives that empower and uplift communities of color. The Houston Equity Fund’s four pillars are Social and Racial Justice, Economic Development, Youth Empowerment and Education, and community Building.
Eligible nonprofits must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- 501c3 status (or fiscal sponsorship) prior to December 31, 2021;
- Under 50 employees, including full-time and part-time employees and 1099 contractors that support your organization in an ongoing way; and
- Located within the City of Houston
Nonprofits must also meet ONE of the following additional eligibility criteria to be considered:
- Be located in and impacting communities that score 0.5 or above on the Social Vulnerability Index (CDC SVI Map) -or-
- Have a mission aligned program or focus area that supports the ecosystem for ongoing success of small businesses and develop a pipeline of future employees and entrepreneurs through such programs as incubators, internships and apprenticeships, mentorships, educational programs, small business grants and other investments, as well as training and technical assistance.
The application portal opens August 9, 9:00 a.m. and closes August 23, 11:59 p.m.